Now, I have a lot of items in my pantry, including Couscous. It's one of my favorites! I'm sure most of you (who like Couscous) have plenty in your stockpiles too, since it was FREE with coupons a few months ago.
- 1 ½ cup couscous, cooked according to package instructions
- 3 medium size chicken sausages, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) package baby spinach
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup cilantro, optional
- Cook the couscous as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a pan with a preheated tablespoon of vegetable oil, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and garlic to the same pan and caramelize for about 7 minutes.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and deglaze it. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the sausages and white beans to the pan and stir.
- Mix the butter, sugar and mustard in a small container and microwave for 15 seconds until the butter is melted. Stir and add to the pan with the onion, garlic and beans. Stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix the couscous with the spinach, sausage and white beans. Add the cucumber, feta, cilantro and stir. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm!